Friday, June 12, 2015

Surprised by Gratitude (While Cleaning)

I am spring cleaning. Yes, I am weeks late. That's just how I roll.

In the process, I became very grateful for the tilt-in windows that make this possible. So much easier than the old style windows.

Then, I became grateful that I have windows at all. Windows that let in light. That allow air to enter when open, that protect from the elements when closed. Millions of people around the world either live in dark, windowless spaces or have uncovered openings in their walls.

I realized how thankful I am that I can spare water to mix with vinegar to wash my windows. In some places, water is too precious for that. Every drop is needed for drinking.

Even the fact that I have lesiure for spring cleaning is cause for gratitude. For many procuring water, and growing, gathering and preparing food are tasks that overwhelm their time. The basic tasks of survival make cleaning house a luxury.

I have so much. And I hardly ever realize it. It is sin to be so profligate and so unmindful of my blessings as I live my daily life.

That has been my reflection as I washed my windows. God grant I do not forget it.


What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment