Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Heroes: No Greater Love

Greater Love has no Man than this: that He Lay Down His Life for His Friends.




Sgt. 1st Class Danny Ferguson, Sgt. Timothy Owens, and Carlos Lazaney were already heroes when the woke up on Wednesday, April 2. They were members of the military, serving at a time when deployment to an area conflict was possible. They were heroes just for that.




But these three did not get to go to bed that night. They went instead, too soon, to the morgue.


They all died heroes, going about the business of defending their country, in a place that should have been safe.


Danny Ferguson died protecting others. He placed himself in front of unlockable door and held it shut. He died when bullets fired by the gunman penetrated the door. He saved a roomful of other military personnel. He gave his life for his friends.


I never met Danny, but his fiancé attended CYC, the ministry I volunteer with, several years ago as a camper. Though I haven't been in touch with Kristen really, except a little via Facebook, I still feel a connection through our camp sisterhood. My heart goes out to her and her family. I will be praying for her and for all the families as the memorial program happens today.


I pray for peace and comfort for the families. I pray for healing for the injured. I pray that our military bases will be safe places, that soldiers suffering from mental illness will get the help they need, that all mass shootings --all shootings-- will stop. I don't know what the answers are, I just pray.




God grant us peace -- all kinds of peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment