Sunday, September 15, 2013

Song for Sunday: Yesterday

The Beatles had some good songs. I was reminded of this one a few days ago and decided use it as this week's Song for Sunday.  

It's a sad song, but I have some fun associations with it. I remember back many years ago -- in the early 1980s -- that some girls at the Youth Conference  sang a sort of parody of it. Pretending to be pregnant, they changed the words to "Suddenly I'm twice the girl, I used to be, there's a shadow hanging under me..." and "Why we had to grow, we don't know, we couldn't say, I did something wrong now I long for yesterday...."

It was hilarious. (I know teen pregnancy isn't funny, but their performance was.) We used their version at every conference related baby shower for about 10 years. 

So it's a sad song, but it makes me laugh. 

The original version is beautiful as well as sad and is beloved by many. I hope you enjoy listening to it. 

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to go
I don't know, she wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Why she had to go?
I don't know, she wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

                       ~John Lennon and Paul McCartney





When have heard a good parody of a song?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I don't have a good parody song... but in reading this I thought that we can be so thankful for the good memories that we have -- and for those that seem to bring back times of joy to our hearts!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gratitude for memories is a good thing. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete