Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Knitter's Devotional: A Consistent Gauge

 
I haven't written an entry for my knitter's devotional in a while, but it's back. I am hoping to form this into a book. Suggestions welcome.

Keeping a consistent gauge is an important part of knitting. Regular, uniformly sized

stitches help us to make a nice-looking product. Clothing will fit better, too. It’s not

always easy to maintain that consistency in our knitting, especially for beginners.
 

It’s also not easy to be even-tempered in our lives. Many of us spend seasons of our lives

on an emotional roller coaster. It is difficult to maintain a calm front, to treat others well,

to think positively when things around us are going wrong. But is important, even when it

is difficult.

 
Rudyard Kipling wrote the poem If to instruct his son on what it is to be a man. The opening verse says:


IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:....
 
 
 
 
In Kipling's estimation, being even-tempered is part of maturity.
 
 
The Bible lists “self-control” as one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit and reminds us that a

soft answer turns away wrath. We are called to practice self-restraint and not sin when we

are angry.


Like a consistent gauge in knitting keeps items well-sized and well-shaped, self-control

helps keep our lives balanced and productive. It facilitates healthy relationships, good

parenting and a positive reputation.
 

May God help us all to keep a consistent gauge in our lives.

6 comments:

  1. Always working on being positive and consistent in my life. My true journey began in June when I finally committed to doing something with my life. That made all the difference in the world.
    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda,

    What a wonderful analogy. I don't knit, but I do crochet so I know how tricky keeping one's gauge is - especially in the beginning - big, loopy sitches, uneven sides...

    I love how you compared a even gauge with self-control. I think most all of us start off as big loopy stitches :-)

    Peggy (from UBC)

    ***
    Peggy Nolan
    http://thestepmomstoolbox.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great devotional taken from knitting! Thank you for those words! Self-control is definitely a fruit of the spirit as I can't do it on my own!

    ReplyDelete