Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Eco-Friendly? Take a Close Look!

I was at a shop the other day and a display of gardening supplies caught my eye.

Amidst the pesticides there was a bottle labeled, along with it's brand name, "Earth Options." It was a pale green color and was decorated with pictures of  flowers, while the others of the same brand were black or red and sported an aggressive stream of liquid and a dead bug. It proudly declared that it's active ingredient was derived from chrysanthemum flowers and that it was suitable for indoor and outdoor use.

Enough to intrigue an organic gardener, which appears to be its intended audience.

Look close though. In the small print, the label informs you that the product is potentially hazardous to humans and can be absorbed through the skin. It is toxic to aquatic life and so must not get into runoff. It may, according to the label, enter run off "for weeks." It is toxic to bees and special precautions must be taken not to spray it when they are around.

This doesn't sound very environmentally healthy.

Of course, nowhere on the label does it say that's "organic," "eco-friendly," or even "safe for children and pets." But I am pretty sure it was meant to look that way.

So keep a close watch on your products!

What deceptive labels have you seen?

8 comments:

  1. I always look for the USDA Organic symbol. Even if a product looks "organic" the symbol is a good sign that it is. (I just hope that the symbol is not also deceptive). I am also one to read the ingredients. What was in this "green" product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eugenol – 0.50%, Phenethyl Propionate – 1.25%, Inactive ingredients include Petroleum Distillates

      I look for the organic symbol, too, on a lot of things. But I don't use ant & roach sprays, etc. I haven't had a problem with roaches yet and ants have responded to pepper and a vinegar wash.

      Delete
  2. Wow--I am sure they were expecting people to just grab it based on the label look. However I don't think they know their organic/earthy target market very well. This group--like you--tend to be very well-read and want the information. I bet it doesn't last long on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully not! I saw another blog that warned about the same product.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. I've noticed this too... a lot of products are made to look earth friendly but when you look closer they are just as hazardous as the rest. I've especially been keeping my eyes open when it comes to food- this happens quite often in the grocery aisle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to be careful with food. I noticed a cereal that claims to have no artificial flavors or sweeteners, but doesn't mention having no artificial colors. In the ingredients list it says "fruit juice and vegetable colors." I wonder what that means?

      Delete
  4. Yep... you can't be too careful! Personally, we enjoy the use of worm castings, and if needed, we make worm castings tea and spray it on the plants. We haven't had any real infestation. Organic gardening invites beneficial insects who feast on the destructive ones :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll need to look into worm castings.

      Delete