Tuesday, May 14, 2013

$40 Electricity Bill

I told a friend of mine that my electricity bill -- for a two-story, four bedroom is house -- is between $40 and $50 a month, normally. Usually closer to $40.

"How do you do it?" she asked.

Well, here goes:

Three of the biggest electricity guzzlers are the microwave, TV and clothes dryer.

We don't own a microwave.

The TV doesn't get channels. We watch about one movie a month and an additional three to four hours of video a week. The rest of the time the TV is not only turned off, it's unplugged.

I use the dryer once a week, for sheets and towels. Clothes get hung up to dry. Emergencies are limited to once a month on that score.


We also do little things. Turn off GFIs when not in use, run the washing machine and dishwasher only when full, turn off lights when we aren't in the room. We don't have wifi at home, we use the library. We try to keep the freezer full.

Little things add up.

Hope this helpful, though I know different families have different needs.  I'd love to get my electricity bill below $40, but we'll see.


How do you save electricity?

No comments:

Post a Comment