Sunday, April 21, 2013

Song for Sunday: My Hope

HOPE. 

We seek it for ourselves and our families. We see it, here and there, in the heroes who came forward, in the unity of Boston's residents, in the selfless actions of many.

Still, in the wake of the tumultous events of this week it can be hard to come by. We wonder what kind of world we are raising our children in -- or what type of world we might bring them into.

A few weeks after 9/11, the CYC Planning Committee held their first meeting for that year. At that meeting they wrestled with the theme for the 2002 conference. Hope kept coming up and eventually they settled on "Hope Endures" based on the Bible verse: 

" Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." 
                                                   (Romans 12:12)

It seems apropos now. Boston, our city, our home, is afflicted. Even with the apprehension of suspect #2 and the death of suspect #1, we have healing to do. For those injured it is far more -- they have weeks, months, years of healing left. So do eye-witnessses. But all of us have some healing to do, some forgiveness to find. 

For that, we first need hope. Hope that we can heal, that we will heal. Hope that our city will go on. Our hope is found in Christ, as this old hymn, written by Edward Mote in the mid 19th Century reminds us. 



My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less 

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.


When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.


His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.


When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.






What songs bring you a message of hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment