Sunday, March 10, 2013

Song for Sunday: Jesus Loves Me


It began as a poem, spoken to comfort a fictional dying child. 
Jesus Loves Me was in a book written to keep food on the table for two sisters who had lost everything in the financial panic of 1837. The book was published in 1860. The poem was set to music by William Bradbury, a profilic hymnwriter, in 1861 and gained popularity quickly because of the easy tune and the simple way it presents truth. Mr. Bradbury added the chorus "yes Jesus loves me...."
In the Civil War, soldiers on both sides sang it around their fires. It is quoted by seminary professors and concert performers as stating the basic truth of Christain faith. 
I recently attended a Bapist family event and we sung it as the benediction -- young and old knew it well. It seems to be one of those songs that is eternal.
May God bless you through it.

Jesus loves me! 
This I know, 
For the Bible tells me so. 
Little ones to Him belong; 
They are weak but He is strong.
Jesus loves me!
Loves me still,
Tho I'm very weak and ill,
That I might from sin be free,
Bled and died upon the tree.
Jesus loves me!
He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
Jesus loves me!
He will stay
Close beside me all the way.
Thou hast bled and died for me;
I will henceforth live for Thee.
                ~Anna B. Warner


Through the years verses have been added. Here is Whitney Houston's version:




Is there a simple song that rings true for you?

2 comments: