Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Frosting (A follow-up)

Following up from yesterday's post, Family Recipes.

So my aunt came over and we frosted cookies.

We had to tweak and stir and tweak some more, but we finally got it the right consistency. We had a great time.

I found out that my aunt uses a different recipe than my Mom did. My aunt didn't know where my mother got her recipe. My aunt got hers from her hairdresser. Neither of them used my grandmother's recipe.

Over the years though, my mother's and my aunt's techniques had begun to mirror each other. They each use a bowl rather than the board my grandmother used. They both began putting the cookies in collander, rather than on a rack, to cool. They both started dipping the coookies in the frosting rather than drizzling it over them.

I had forgotten about the collander trick. I think I'll use it next time.

I had a good time with my aunt this morning, sharing cooking tips and stories.


When has your family enjoyed cooking together?

2 comments:

  1. How do you cool cookies on a collander? Please post a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just put them in. They are piled on top of each other. I don't know if it would work well for all types of cookies, but it does for these. I'll see what I can do about a picture the next time I make biscottis.

      Delete