Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Teenager at Home....

I like teenagers.

Scratch that. I am in youth ministry partly because I
love teenagers. All of them, with all
their risk-taking, impulsiveness and arrogance. And all their generosity, energy and
thoughtfulness. It’s an amazing thing to watch them grow and become leaders, teachers
and productive adults.

But now I have one in my house. My son turns 13 today. I don’t know what to make of
that. It’s a bit …scary.

I mean, I know plenty about teenagers. Games they like, how to teach them, etc.
Parenting one, though? That’s a different proposition altogether.

Well, parenting has a way of being on the scary side. Did I make the right decision there?
Set the right balance here? Oh my….have I scarred him for life?

If you are a parent, you know what I mean.

Adolescence seems to take it to a new level, though. Or maybe it’s the anticipation.

I guess I’ll just have to get on with it. Prayerfully. Trying to stay in tune with who my son
is and who he is becoming. It’s got its exciting side.

My son is a wonderful kid. I am sure this next phase will be a positive one.

Do you have teenagers at your house?

4 comments:

  1. I have a 19 yr old on her gap year who is working full time and a 17 yr old who has just finished yr 12 and about to have a gap year...there are good bits and bad bit....and they will all go through stages of hating you, finding you embarassing (it doesn't matter if their mates find you cool they wont) they will also in turn have no appreciation of you and what you do and will be very self centred...that's in amongst the good stuff....one of the hardest things to do is parent a teen and keep your sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about staying sane while managing an adolescent! Thanks for the stopping by, and God bless your parenting journey.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a teenager, as such, but I have a 10-year-old niece who's hovering on the brink! They seem to grow up a lot quicker than I remember doing as a child. She is more astute, aware and shrewd than I ever was at that age! Hope your son had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete