Friday, October 26, 2012

Prayer "retreat"

I have a weekend to myself. I have a baby gift to finish and I'll be helping with lunch at a friend's church,  but I have decided to spend most of the time in prayer for family, friends, my church, CYC and whatever else comes to mind. There is a lot going on with all these things. I'll pray for insight and direction for myself, too.

Looking up classic prayers, I came across this one which I will include this weekend. It comes from Thomas Merton's Thoughts from Solitude so I thought it would be appropriate. I share it with you in hopes that you find it helpful, too.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am
following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.


If you have any prayer requests, I'll be glad to include them. Just comment!!

Have a blessed day!





This is my 25th post for the October Ultimate Blog Challenge. Getting there!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melinda. What a beautiful prayer. My prayer is that our country may be put back on track with the election of a new president. I fear what the future will bring if we don't turn back to God. Thanks for sharing this.

    All the best,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our country is always in need of prayer. I'll include the elections, etc. This weekend. Great reminder. Thanks!

      Delete