Thursday, June 7, 2012

Seeking Wisdom and Knowledge

S.W.A.K.

When I was a kid, we used to put that on the back of envelopes. Then it meant "sealed with a kiss." Perhaps young girls still do that. My son emphatically does not.

Be that as it may, S.W.A.K can also stand for "Seeking Wisdom and Knowledge." That is something worth putting time into. Studying, reflecting, discussing.

I found a few quotes about it:

The doors of wisdom are never shut. ~Benjamin Franklin
 
Science investigates religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power religion gives man wisdom which is control. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. ~Thomas Jefferson
 
The doors of wisdom are never shut. ~Benjamin Franklin
 
Wisdom I know is social. She seeks her fellows. ~Thomas Jefferson
 
This last one says something to me. I think we find wisdom as we study together, pointing out new views to each other, struggling with ideas, thinking our thoughts aloud. That's why I love study and discussion groups, especially ones that go deep into profitable topics.
 
The Bible has a few things to say about wisdom and knowledge:
 
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
                                                                                                 ~ Proverbs 1:7
 
 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. ~ 1 Corinthians 13:2
 
My friend Dan Ledwith tweeted about that verse yesterday: 
If the knowledge we amass be it ever so great, if it does not result in a life of love, as Paul says, you have nothing, you gain nothing.
 
So we begin by knowing God and we strive to use our wisdom and knowledge to live a life of life. That is what Christ calls us, too.
 
Have a blessed day!
 
Thanks to Brainy Quote for the quotes.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment