Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Judsons waiting.

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

After Judson's commissioning, Ann and Adoniram entered into a time of waiting. They had to wait until clear weather allowed the Caravan to sail.  It wouldn't be until February 17 that they would board the ship and it was February 19 when they embarked.

We know little of what they did in that time. As newlyweds, I am sure they were learning to know each other. Probably, they spent time with the family and friends they were leaving behind forever. Certainly, they would have been praying. They may have been tempted toward anxiety because of all the unknowns facing them. They moved forward however, relying on God

We all have times of waiting and uncertainty. Here is a prayer for them, written by Thomas Merton:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does, in fact, please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this
you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore, I will trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.


May all your times of waiting be well repaid.

Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment