Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Year's Resolution Update


Do one thing every day that scares you.

                                            ~Eleanor Roosevelt


I made a new year's resolution to learn to make candy, but it is something that I have always been afraid to try. It's not that it scared me exactly, more like it intimidated me. "Soft ball" stage? "Hard crack" stage? A whole new set of words to learn.

But I resolved to try it, and now I have. Guess what? It was easy.

Granted, I chose toffee, which has exactly two ingredients and the Fannie Farmer cookbook provided excellent directions. Still, it was a lot less difficult than I was anticipating.

Maybe it is often like that with things we are afraid of. Maybe we just have to make a decision to go for it and we'll find it's OK. Or sometimes, maybe we will fail. I guess we have to know the poential consequences of failure and decide if it's worth it.

Overcoming a "fear" can be very empowering. I encourage you to go for it.


What fear do you have to stand up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment