Monday, January 16, 2012

Commemorations

It seems to me that commemorations are being forgotten, overall. This is just my sense, not an observation that I can back up with  scientific data.

Take today for example. We are meant to be remembering a great man and a major movement in U.S. history, but I have barely seen a nod to it. Just a couple of facebook statuses honoring Rev. King.

Sure the banks, schools and government offices are closed, but not much else.  I believe there were probably some services or ceremonies here and there, but not near my town. It is possible that some of the local schools held assemblies last week.  Sometimes I actually wonder if the holiday would be more celebrated if schools were open on it. Or maybe the Vets had the right idea. They resisted having Veteran's Day moved to the nearest Monday and asked that it remain on Nov. 11 every year. In part because of the significance of the "11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month", yes, but also to stop it becoming just another three day weekend holiday.

Usually on this holiday I read some excerpts from King's speeches with my son. He's off in Florida this year though, and I admit that all I did to commemorate the day was... post a Facebook status. *sigh* It really isn't enough. what King did was too important.

I will have to think on this and come up with a proper celebration next year. Any suggestions?





No comments:

Post a Comment