Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy New Year!

Today is the first day of the Christian year.


While even most churches barely give a nod to it these days, it used to be a religious high point for most liturgical churches. There would be changes in worship -- additions to prayers, new colors and a more festive atmosphere.  The idea is new beginnings.


I love new beginnings. This one is the lead up to the celebration of Christ's birth and I as I mentioned, is barely noticed. In fact I posted "Happy New Year!" as my Facebook status on the first day of Advent and got berated for not waiting until after Christmas, until I pastor posted a comment explaining. But, then I am not sure how much the secular new year on Jan. 1 is really noticed. There are parties and some people make New Year's Resolutions that keep for a little while, maybe, but the rhythm's of life don't change at that point.

I think most of us, in the U.S., are most attuned to the academic year. Things start fresh in schools and churches in late summer/early fall and wrap up in June. Even after we leave school and our own children have moved on, we feel that rhythm. It was the rhythm of our childhood.


Still, I like the Christian New Year, too. The idea of following Christ's life through the calendar.

What do you think?


Have a great day -- and Happy New Year!!








2 comments: