Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Faith Showing

When I was  a teenager, a common rhetorical question was "If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

At the time, many people were convinced that The USSR was going to conquer the US and make  Christianity illegal. Maybe now the question needs updating.  How about "If people looked at your Facebook page, minus the line about religious beliefs,  could they tell you are a Christian?" Or maybe not. There are still, or perhaps again, plenty of people who think that our faith is going to be made illegal for one reason or another.

Either way, I have found the question a useful one to reflect on. Can people tell I am a Christian? Does it show in my daily life, my words and and my actions? As I post and like and reply am I  treating others as I would want to be treated? Giving a good impression of Christ? Refraining from things that dishonor Him? Do my photos show me doing what is right? Even when I an not intentionally taking a stand for Jesus does my faith show through? It should if it is real.

It's not about being constantly "religious" in what I say. And I don't want my page or my blog to  be depressing! I love Billy Joel but I never liked his line "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." Real saints do plenty of laughing! It's about living a life that portrays Christ.

As I said, I have found this a useful tool for watching my life and helping me to grow.

How about you? What useful tools do you have for meditating on your faith and spiritual growth?




No comments:

Post a Comment