Friday, October 28, 2011

Necessity being the mother of invention and all...

I called a friend today and suggested we get together for tea sometime. "How about I come down now?"

I was delighted with the idea -- company is always fun. After we'd hung up, I realized I had nothing in the house to serve a guest. Normally, this isn't a problem. I always have the ingredients for some kind of cookie on hand and several recipes are the quick and easy type. The difficulty today was that my oven is broken. I can't open it. The service man is coming on Monday, but until then, no baking. So....

I looked around, gathered up some odds and ends, and made this:


Over low heat melt around 3/4 of a stick of butter. Add a 12 ounce bag of Hershey's cinnamon chips. Once they have melted add about two teaspoons of granulated sugar, a tablespoon of brown sugar and two tablespoons of milk.

In a large bowl, combine a few handfuls of stick-type pretzels somewhat broken up, about two cups of o-shaped oat cereal, about two cups rice Chex and about a half cup of raisens.

Pour the melted mixture over the crunchy stuff and stir until well coated. Spread into a 13x 9 pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm. Break into pieces and serve.

As you can see, all measurements are approximate. Also almost any plain crunchy things will probably work.

I was very pleased that my guest and my son seemed to enjoy my creation. I liked it pretty well myself.


Have you ever tried a food experiment with whatever was around? How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment