Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Battle Hymn

I didn’t get online today. Therefore I am writing this blog on Word and will post it tomorrow.


I went to church this morning, of course. Good service. We sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” in honor of Independence Day. I think that is my favorite patriotic song. My favorite verse is the one that comes last in our hymnbook. I know there are more verses than the ones printed there and I don’t know if this is the last of the whole song, but it does make a good endimg.


In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,
With the glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me,
As He died to make men holy let us live to make men free
Our God is marching on!


It’s “glory” not “power” that transfigures us. I hadn’t noticed that before. It’s an interesting thought that God’s glory changes us. As we get closer to Him, His glory shines on us more and has a stronger influence on our lives.

I have been doing a lot around the house. For one thing I am covering up lead paint. Covering it up, but it’s still there. The new paint will need to be maintained carefully to keep the toxic dust under control. It can be like that for us. Our spiritual natures need to be maintained so that our old, sinful natures do not contaminate our lives. As we grow in grace – get closer to God’s glory—our former natures become weaker.


Someday I hope to replace the trim around the windows and doors where there is lead paint. In the same way, some day God will take away our old natures and perfect us. We are in some sense a new creation now, then we will be fully changed.


Well, that’s my ramblings for today.


Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment