Thursday, May 12, 2011

What I'm Reading Now

Every once in a while, I describe what fiction I am reading. This is one of those times, so here goes.


War in Heaven by Charles Williams

I enjoyed this supernatural thriller. My favorite character is the Archdeacon, a protagonist of joyous and impertubable faith in God, who lives a quiet life until caught up in the events surrounding the Holy Grail. Other characters are memorable, with the evil ones being truly siniser. Prester John is an intregal part of the story and around him people are more fully themselves, so it seems that he is of Heaven. The central idea of the book is that evil destroys, annihilates, makes things nothing. We must, therefore, pray against nothing.




The Mongoliad Subutai Corporation, http://mongoliad.com/welcome
I am continuing to read this internet novel. It is written in installments, similar to the serial stories that were released in newspapers in small portions in the 19th century. When I first began reading The Mongoliad, several chapters had already been released, so I was playing catch-up. Now I am reading it more as it is intended to be read. Perhaps because of my memory, I am finding the plot difficult to follow and the characters hard to remember. However, the story is both absorbing and exciting and the characters well drawn. Plus, I am learning a lot about the 13th century, the Mongol invasion of Europe and the Catholic Church of the time. I would like to read this straight through if it is ever published in print form.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

I just picked this up again. For a while, I was finding it hard to plow through. However, after a break I am enjoying it again. It's a good story, but very complicated. It's hard to follow the plot and keep the characters straight. This series is a reread for me, and I am looking forward to getting to the last two books which I haven't read yet.







Tale Spinning Stuart Nager

http://stuartnager.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/look-at-all-the-pretty-stars/

This is actually a blog which the author describes as an "open experiment in writing styles". There are several short stories mixed in with posts on writing and teaching writing. The writing is always good. My favorite story is Materfamilias, a sad piece about Mother's Day. I learned of this blog while participating in The Ultimate Blog Challenge and recommend it to anyone who enjoys short stories.



Well, that's it. What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. This blog disappeared for a while, causing me to rewrite it. I actually like this version better but someone commented on the other one, so I will leave both up.

    ReplyDelete