Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reflections on the Death of Bin Laden

Now I lay me down to sleep, one less terrorist this world does keep. With all my heart I give my thanks, to those in uniform regardless of ranks. You serve our country and serve it well, with humble hearts your stories tell. So as I rest my weary eyes, while freedom rings our flag still flies. You give your all, do what you must. With God we live and God we trust. God Bless America!

That's going around Facebook and it's a good thing, right, that "one less terrorist the world does keep?" Of course it is. And it's a proud moment for the Navy SEALs and others in uniform. I hope the team that went into that compound in Pakistan has good support. Once the spotlight is off and people aren't publicly congratulating them, it could get tough for them emotionally. But they are military, they did a military job and they did it well.

So how do we respond?

College students are celebrating in the streets. Maybe they should. A shadow is lifted from the world. This shadow has dogged them since elementary school. I remember reading "The Lord of the Rings" in Modern Mythology class. We talked about the part of the War of the Ring in which the Ents destroyed many goblins. The professor told us that we could be pacifists, but there was something wrong with us if we didn't want to cheer for the Ents at that point in the story. So maybe there should be a certain amount of rejoicing.

Then, again, the families of the victims of 9/11 aren't rejoicing. They are talking about there still being a void and grief though Bin Laden's death did bring a measure of comfort to some. Some would have preferred a different ending, feeling that a capture and trial would have brought more closure, allowed more of a confrontation.


Something tells me, though, that Osama bin Laden would not have allowed himself to be captured alive.


Here are a couple of other thoughts going around Facebook:



"Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of everyone before God and man, and hopes and pledges that every event is not an opportunity for a further growth of hatred, but of peace." Pope Benedict XVI/Vatican


"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~Anonymous


I resonate with these. It's true that bin Laden needed to go, but we don't need to be gleeful about it. A more measured response is appropriate.

When I told my son about this event his response was. "Yay. Sort of." My sentiments exactly.


I'll give the last word to a couple of Bible verses posted and reposted by some of my friends. God's words will guide us as we seek for peace, if we let them. God bless.

“For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord GOD. Turn, then, and live” (Ezekiel 18:32—NRSV)

"Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble" (Proverbs 24:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment