Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Earth is Not Your Ashtray!!

Warning: tonight I am going to rant.


Yesterday, I walked around my church, looking about. I am the chair of the House Committee so I have some responsibility for the grounds. What caught my eye was cigarette butts everywhere.

I am not going to rant about smoking. You have all heard how bad it is anyway. Suffice it to say it's not allowed at my house. Or in my car. And when I have a yard it won't be allowed there either. I am going to rant about where some smokers put there cigarette butts when they are done smoking.



Long before yesterday's walk around my church building, I had been bothered by cigarette butts on the ground. They are distinctly unattractive, down right disgusting in fact. All litter is I suppose, but butts seem to have an added dimension of grossness. They were in somebodies mouth. filter has trapped poisons from the cigarette itself. They are just nasty.


And on top of that they are just the right size for little hands to pick up. When little hands pick things up, they usually put those things in their mouths. YUCK!! Even the most vigilant of parents can miss things sometimes. So, yes, smokers you do bear some responsibility here to keep those butts away from small people. It's not all on Mommy and Daddy.


I appeal to all smokers (and I know some of you do this already) please dispose of your cigarette butts properly. There are ways. You can figure them out.



Thank you!!


And have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment