Saturday, March 19, 2011

War and Loss

So, we go to war again. In a new place for a new reason. Or maybe it's a new front in the same old war.

Whatever, our troops are in danger and we are spending millions on weapons to protect our interests somewhere -- happens to be Libya this time. Same old story. It just goes on and on.

Not that I am necessarily against what we are doing, especially if it really will stop the mass murder of the Libyan people. I don't really know enough to judge. I feel the same about Iraq.


The verse comes to mind, "When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." (Mark 13:7) There have been plenty of wars since Jesus spoke those words. Some were believed to be so horrible that no one would try battle again. In an episode of M*A*S*H, Col. Potter asks, "What war is this?" and Hawkeye responds, "The latest war to end all wars." I suppose based on this verse, we are to leave war in God's hands, knowing someday he will bring an end to it. But more young people still fight and suffer injury and die.


On a personal level, this new war is overshadowed by my own loss. We are preparing for my mother's memorial service tomorrow. There are a million details to work out -- speakers, food for the meal after the service, seating, arrangements for family from far away. (We are so glad they could be with us!) In a sense, despite the sadness, I look forward to tomorrow. I know that I will feel in a tangible way the support that has been offered by so many as they gather to honor my mother. And it will be a time to pause from all the rigamarole, to worship and remember. I am deeply grateful that I will have that opportunity.


Whether it's war or loss or something else altogether on your mind, I pray you have a blessed day filled with reassurance from the Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment