Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Now we see but a poor reflection, as in a mirror, but then face to face.

My son and I just memorized this verse as part of the "Love Chapter" and it has stuck with me.

Partly, maybe, because the CYC theme for 2011 is "Face to Face" although it is based on a different scripture. Partly, because it is often used to remind people that we know less than God but some day we will have the answers to all our "whys".

The next part of the verse, "Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." also struck me. First because I am fully known. I used to have a poster as a teenager that read "A friend is someone who knows all about you but loves you anyway." God knows us fully and yet he loves more than we can ever understand or imagine. Amazing. Absolutely, utterly amazing.

Also, because some day we shall know God fully. This is awe-inducing. We will fully know God. Fully. It is impossible to fathom this and yet it will be so. There are no words for how utterly astonishing that is. I can't even begin to explain. I had never realized it before we were reading it the other day. I guess it is true that we can see new things even in the most familiar passages.

So a challenge for the start of Lent:

Read a familiar passage. See what new things you can see.

May it prove to be surprising, stunning, fascinating for you.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment