Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas

I am about to say something that some people will consider almost heretical.

I think Christmas is about receiving.

That's right, not giving, receiving.


Oh, not the gift giving part. Surely in that department is more blessed to give than to receive, though I like getting presents as much as anybody else. And, even my 11 year old looks at me askance, but I still believe in Santa. Choosing just the right present and seeing someone enjoy opening it beats getting a gift any time, though.

Back to what I started with... smack in the middle of my favorite Christmas carol (O Little Town of Bethlehem) are the lines

No ear may hear his coming, but in this world of sin
where meek souls will receive him still, the dear Christ enters in

If we don't receive him, make a place for him in our lives, all the rest becomes social rituals. Nice in the themselves and great ways to show others we care, sure. But with their purpose gutted.


So, I think Christmas, ultimately, is about receiving. Are you ready to receive Christ in your heart and home?

Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment